Subject: Re: 1.0 pre-release
To: None <briggs@mail.vt.edu, macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David C. Doherty <doherty@msc.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/21/1994 10:34:32
At  7:38 PM 10/20/94 -0400, Allen 'Time?' Briggs wrote:
>I've made the archive on cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu readable, now,
>with new binary release of the almost-1.0 NetBSD/Mac68k system.
>
>Please be aware that the real 1.0 release is around the corner
>(like, next week if we're lucky), so please be aware that a few
>things might be fixed between now and then.  No new machines are
>supported.
>
>********
>Notably, the kernel that's in this set in known to have problems
>on systems that older kernels work on.  I am working on this, and
>hope to have something working by release time.  In the meantime,
>if you download and install this stuff, make a backup of your
>working kernel first!
>********

(whoopee!)

Looking to get a head start on things, I'm wondering if the only planned
changes are to the kernel.  In other words, if I download everything now,
what's the chance that all I'll have to do is drop in a new
kernel at the final release?

Also, I read the install notes, and it explicitly states that
there is no way to upgrade from the previous releases.  This
is what I expected, but I'm not clear about a couple of things:

1. Does this mean that I also have to repartition the disk, or
is mkfs smart enough to just blow away what's there and write out
the new stuff?  I'm leary about giving SilverLining another crack
at my HFS partition.

2. Is the only way to get the work that I've done on my own out (before
I install the new stuff), to move it out via the installer to MacOS?
(I know that I could also ftp stuff out, via slip).  I guess that
what I really want to know is are the floppies not available via
NetBSD.  I've never been clear about whether this is the case.
It'd sure be easier to just put my stuff on floppies.

thanks for helping the needy.  And thanks for the great work too!

Dave Doherty

---
David C. Doherty
Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.