Subject: Re: Another Mac IIsi install
To: None <holcomb@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
From: John Wittkoski <jpw@insoft2.insoft.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/21/1994 07:58:14
> This is completely normal.  The first scsi device found will map
> to sd0, the second device found will map to sd1, etc.
>
> Example:  suppose a given system has these SCSI devices
>
> SCSI ID     device
> -------     ------
>    0         sd0
>    2         sd1
>    4         sd2
>    5         sd3

Ok. But the possible problem I see is this: Let's say you add a new 5GB
hard drive so that you can compile even more stuff. :-)  You choose to use
scsi id 1 for the new device. Now the mapping will look like this:
	0	sd0
	1	sd1
	2	sd2
	4	sd3
	5	sd4

So you have to remake your fstab entries to reflect the new mapping.
Of course, this wouldn't happen if you choose scsi id 6 for the new drive.
The other platforms I've worked on just map scsi id X to sdX, and that is
what I was expecting here. I'm not saying this is a big problem or
anything, it just confused me when I first tried to get everything working.

	--John

 John Wittkoski
 InSoft Technical Support      Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com         Fax  : (717) 730-9504