Subject: Re: Another Mac IIsi install
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/19/1994 13:05:54
John Wittkoski writes:
[ and Brad Grantham egregiously barked : ]
> > Doesn't anyone ever read the mailing list archives?  We've been over
> > this again and again; the current kernels do not have keyboard support
> > for either IIsi or IIvx.
>
> Sorry. I did not know that there is a archive for this list. I'll try and
> look it up. By the way, I would not mind working on getting the IIsi keyboard
> support working if there is no one on it already.

I didn't mean to sound this abrasive...  I'm having an abrasive kind
of morning, and I apologize.  The archive is available on ftp.netbsd.org.
(I think, I couldn't find it in ten minutes of connect time, but my
connection is *crawling* today so I didn't do much looking around.)

I've made sources which call the Mac ROMs for the Mac II series ADB, and
I mean to get around to fleshing the same calls for the IIsi and IIvx,
but it's much more complex than for the older Macs.  If you're interested
in looking at the code, there's an version available on ftp.netcom.com
in /pub/grantham/NetBSD_Mac.  (This code is missing one evening's worth
of work that I did recently.)  If I can get the motivation up, I'll try
and finish this code for the weekend.  I was really rolling on this
until I discovered that there are whole other ROM modules with which I
must interface to get it working on Tenon's PowerBook 140 (and thus
the IIsi and IIvx by interpolation).  I might as well open this up
to everyone: please feel free to look in the directory from time to
time for stuff from me, but I don't guarantee that my code won't
blow your machine into little plastic and resin bits.  Anyone interested
in working on the ROM stuff is welcome to browse through the code,
fix bugs or submit suggestions.

> > This is probably because your drive is /dev/sd0a.  I don't know why
> > the defaults would be set to /dev/sd1a...
> Well, I have two scsi drive: device 0, which is hfs only, and device 2, which
> has hfs, root/usr, and swap. When booting, the kernel sets target device
> 0 to sd0, and target device 2 to sd1. I'll look inot it further.

Let me (us) know what you find.

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@tenon.com ++++++++++++++++ http://acm.vt.edu/~grantham/
UNIX is kind of like a car with primer but no paint, foam but no upholstery, a