Subject: Alice on PB520
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Zack T. Smith <zack@netcom.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/06/1994 16:34:25
Hi,

I'd like to consider running Alice on a Powerbook 520, mostly because I am
Unix-starved and tired of writing programs in think c and xlisp. Also, the
only alternative is for me to sell my PB and go totally Linux, which is not
a bad option but would incur monetary loss.

Hence, I'm asking you (whoever is reading this), can I run Alice on a PB520,
and if you don't know, has it been tried it on any 68040? Also, how many of
the various GNU programs and utils have been ported to Alice? Is there a
reasonable Lisp interpreter? Is GCC available? How about X11R5?

How fast is alice on basic operations? How does it compare to the OS that's
on Sun3's? How does it compare to MacMach (if that still exists)?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

Zack Smith
zack@netcom.com