Subject: Re: This whole Apple boycott issue
To: None <bskendig@netcom.com>
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/05/1994 18:31:08
    If I really stuck with the idea of Linux and the FSF, and if I abandoned
    Apple and encouraged other people to do the same, sure, everything might
    change and the industry might really come around to embrace the idea of
    free software!  On the other hand, it might also be the case that Apple
    would die, and Microsoft would establish a monopoly on software and
    force everybody to either sign a license with them or else shrivel up
    and die.

Please don't exaggerate.  Such an extreme scenario is unlikely.

But even if it did happen, free software developers--including the
developers of BSD--would not sign such a license.  We would continue
to provide an alternatie.  The hypothetical monopoly would be less
than 100%.

Provided, that is, we are not shut down by interface copyrights and
software patents.