Subject: IIsi setup
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Daniel Risacher <magnus@im.lcs.mit.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/04/1994 00:39:00
I've returned from my honeymoon, and at the risk of interrupting a
fascinating discusion of the jihad, I would like to take this moment
to ask for advice.

After carefully reinstalling the BETA-1 binaries in a rather more
complete fashion this time, I have managed to get my troublesome
IIsi to give me a login prompt.  Unfortunately, it was on the console
and lack of ADB prevents this from being useful.

If I turn on tty01 or tty00 in /etc/ttys, it won't give a login prompt
on either the console or on the serial port.

Other wierd things seem to be happening- out of the box, it runs
through the rc.install messages without waiting for input, looping
forever because it can't mount rw.  If I replace the section which
asks about the SCSI id with a hard-coded answer, *none* of the messages
are printed from any rc files, but it gets to the login prompt anyway.

If anyone can diagnose these symptoms, or has successfully configured
a IIsi for serial login- *please* let me know.

I have also been unable to get a serial boot echo.  Where are the
details on how to do this?

Thank you.
Daniel Risacher