Subject: Re: Merger
To: None <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/03/1994 15:54:24
    Basically, if every computer programmer in the world stopped buying
    Apple computers, it would make a dent of about a half a percent in
    their sales.

Apple need programmers not for the machines they buy, but for the
programs they write.  If just 10% of the programmers who now think of
Apple as just another company were to treat it as anathema, Apple
management would be worried.  The diminution in third-party software
would make their machine less attractive.

But I think we have failed to attain this goal.

I also don't believe that "infiltrating" the Apple employees as you
suggest would have any effect.

The only reason we would want Apple employees in particular to express
their opposition to the lawsuit is in the hope they would eventually
alter Apple's behavior.  But we see that Apple lovers tend to
rationalize against any attempt to do this.  Even when they admit that
something about Apple is not nice, it rarely translates into any
attempt to affect Apple's behavior.