Subject: Re: Merger
To: None <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com, rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Peter Brewer <brewer@umd5.umd.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/03/1994 17:43:34

If you can't convince me, how do you expect to convince somebody who
doesn't live and breath Free Software?  Worse, how do you expect to
convince a luser who couldn't hack his or her way out of a wet paper
bag?  These people are not going to live ascetic lives in order to
help us win our battle, but they might be willing to sign petitions
and send letters to congresscritters.

Why can't we direct our efforts to where they can help us to succeed?

                               _MelloN_

Yes, I think this might work. The Washington Post now runs articles about
'happenings' on the Internet almost daily! They have published internet
addresses for 20+ congressscritters and 10+ senators. They are continually
asking for interesting topics to publish which are related to the Internet.
In fact they now have started a contest to find a new name for the 'Information
SuperHighway' as they are tired of silly analogies such as 'road kill'.
If you bombard these congress people and senators and the president and
vice president with letters voicing LPF's concerns and cc the Washington
Post you've made news. If you want the effect of negative publicity to
hamper Apple's efforts this may be the way to go. After all what is the
Internet without FSF? A shadow or wisp of what it is today. This fact
would also have to be made clear to the 'netarazzi' of the Washington Post.

-- Peter