Subject: Re: powerbook support?
To: Parag Patel <parag@netcom.com>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 09/01/1994 18:22:52
> >Does anyone out there know the status of the powerbook version, or
> >has this been put on a back burner.
>
> I don't know the status of the port, but from what I've heard about
> Powerbooks, the port promises to be somewhat painful.  The ADB uses the
> newer chipset which isn't fully supported under BSD yet.  Controlling
> the backlighting is going to cause the most trouble.  The backlighting
> is why no Powerbooks handle MIDI properly.  The MacOS has to poll
> periodically to handle the backlighting housekeeping (which is how the
> brightness is controlled) and during that time it can easily lose data
> on the serial ports.  What a way to control costs!

I rather think that backlighting might be less trouble than the ADB
and power management.  In any case, if anyone is smart enough to get
the ADB and PM and clock working, then they can probably get the
backlighting to work.

Who needs serial, anyway? :)

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@netcom.com >+------+< Happily slaved to NetBSD/Mac68k!
MacBSD : II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, SE/30, IIsi, IIvx -- The list is growing...