Subject: Re: Merger
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, sukes@Glue.umd.edu>
From: Peter Brewer <brewer@umd5.umd.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/31/1994 11:12:23

I don't understand.  What does RMS have to do with Linux?  Just
because Linux is being distributed under GNU General Public License
doesn't mean Linux = FSF.  Far as I know, RMS is not even involved
with Linux.  (Hence a debate over validity/stupidity of "Linux, the
Choice of a GNU Generation.")  Though, if GNU Hurd was being ported
over to Apple boxes, I don't think RMS would be pleased.

suki

I would guess he would be pleased particularly if the Mac O.S. were
folded in as well. Now Apple would have a P.D. O.S. and tools on its
machine whether Apple 'likes' it or not. The problem obviously would
come with distribution and whether Apple would 'go after' the authors
legally. Hopefully, the numbskulls there would realize that this would
sell perhaps more machines than they could possibly have dreamed. The
best tact on their part would be to hire the authors and product a
'supported versions'. Still, Stallman would have to like it.

-- Peter