Subject: Re: panic: no init?
To: Juliana Fleming <ladyada@l0pht.com>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/24/1994 09:38:14
> i am running the latest kernel, booter 1.1, and the BETA-1 binaries on a macs se/30 with 8 megs of ram and a 170 meg lacie drive (128 root+usr, 20 swap, 15 mac)
> i installed the minimum tar files to check whether it boots and unfortunatly
> have been having difficulties getting to shell.
> i get the grey bars, as well as about a screen of text about the hardware config.
> however, the last lines given to me are:
> Changing root device to sd1a.
> swapping 409 and 401.
> swapdev = 409, dumpdev = ffffffff
> init: not found
> panic: no init
> Pausing forever.
>
> then, of course, it freezes. am i doing something incredibly wrong?

Which tar files did you install?  It sounds like (as you probably guessed)
that /sbin/init wasn't installed.  You can check this by using the
Installer to "ls /sbin/init".

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@netcom.com >+------+< Happily slaved to NetBSD/Mac68k!
MacBSD : II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, SE/30, IIsi, IIvx -- The list is growing...

	id m0qdMX6-000A09C; Wed, 24 Aug 94 13:54 EDT