Subject: Re: Screen Speed?
To: Peter Siebold <psiebold@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu>
From: Lawrence Kesteloot <lk@milquetoast.engr.sgi.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/11/1994 14:58:23
>	I've just helped a freind set up Linux on his 486 box, and
>noticed that the screen redraws are awfully fast.  Is the 486's video
>that much faster than the macs, or is the Linux's kernel optimized
>for such fast screen performance?

Hard for me to tell what you are comparing.  Do you mean text screens?
Well, Apple, in its infinite wisdom made all Macintoshes graphics
only, and using the Mac screen as a VT100 terminal pushes an order of
magnitude more data across the system bus than using a PC video card.

If you are talking about X windows performance, doesn't Linux use
XFree86?  XFree86 is highly optimized (i.e. tons of hackers around the
world have rewritten nearly all of ddx fb code in ix86 assembly).

Sam