Subject: Re: etc.tgz????
To: Sky Striker <root@macblazer.com>
From: Allen `Tell me three times' Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/02/1994 21:09:27
> Which brings up a question I had. What is a tgz file and what do I use to
> open it into something usuable?

The FAQ says:
25. What's the .tgz extention on the distribution files?  What about .gz?

It is equivalent to .tar.gz, which means that the files were tarred
together, then compressed with GNU's gzip program.  You can get a
MacOS-side version of gzip from:

  mac.archive.umich.edu:/mac/util/compression/macgzip0.21.cpt.hqx

You need to un-gzip the files before they can be used by the
installer.  IMPORTANT: Be sure to set MacGZip to Binary mode, and
*not* ASCII mode, which is the default.

The files that end in .gz are compressed with gzip, but not tarred.  This
is often used for kernels.  Use MacGZip to unzip them, then copy them
into MacBSD with the installer's "cpin" command.