Subject: the new ci kernel
To: MacBSD General <>
From: Brian Gaeke <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/29/1994 05:12:21
I downloaded the new kernel, and tried to run
it on my CI with the NuBus video (a SuperMac Spectrum 8/24 PDQ)
hooked up -- no dice. not even one bar. I then tried it with the
internal video on; it said something about remapping the beginning
some number of netbsd pages, and then spurted lots of remappings
at me. It eventually said:

0xf9790000 --> 0xb78000
0xf9798000 --> 0xb88000
0xf97a0000 --> 0xb98000
0xf97a8000 --> 0x4ba0000
*  Video address = 0xfbb08000
  Weird mapping starts at 0xf8ff8000
  Length = 0x7b8000 (8093696) bytes
  Logical = 0x8
  phys1 = 0x9
  phys2 = 0x4099000

It then drew a few gray bars at the top of the screen; at the very
top was about half a gray bar, as though it had started drawing them
somewhere off the top of video memory. It drew about 9 or 10 of these,
and then jumped about an inch down, and drew another one, and then

(I'd say that's quite an improvement.)

--Brian Gaeke

Brian Gaeke                                  <>
  "'Involuntary' means a non-intentional act such as a hat
  blowing off or a scream resulting from a sudden wasp sting."