Subject: Re: unix book
To: None <gerrits@sol.acs.uwosh.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/20/1994 23:16:51
   Date: Wed, 20 Jul 94 19:58:14 CDT
   From: gerrits@sol.acs.uwosh.edu (Richard J. Gerrits)

   As I plod along in this venture of mine I am realizing how much I DONT know
   about unix, does anyone have any suggestions of a good quick ref. manual
   or some other "self-help" book?

   I have right now: Que's Intro to Unix, and Unix Sys. Admin Handbook by
   Nemeth, Snyder,Seebass.

I would recommend the `classic' K&P, _UNIX Programming Environment_ by
Kernighan and Pike from Prentice-Hall (1984).  _Life with UNIX_ by
Libes and Ressler, also from Prentice-Hall (1988) is a good one, too.

I learned most of technique that I use in shell scripts from the K&P.
The latter book gave me a lot of background knowledge about UNIX that
you can't usually find at other places.

Ken