Subject: Re: Scoop on IIvx setup.
To: Peter Siebold <psiebold@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu>
From: Bharat S. Jhaveri <bjhaveri@Arco.COM>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/06/1994 08:46:25
>Here is the inside scoop on getting NetBSD to boot on the IIvx.
>There are some requirements though.
>
>Nubus video card
>SLIP access
>a seperate computer so that you can telnet to the IIvx
>BETA-1 tar files
>A text editor that handles lf/cr appropriatly eg. BBedit
>

>IF YOU HAVE THE ABOVE MENTIONED, AND ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING
>NETBSD TO RUN ON THE IIVX, PLEASE EMAIL ME, AND I WILL SEND THE
>APPROPRIATE FILES.  THIS METHOD WILL NOT WORK IF YOU DON'T HAVE
>ANY ONE OF THE ABOVE!

Hi: I need your help in getting BETA-1 work on my IIvx. In fact I tried
this weekend without the nubus video card, and it failed to boot.

I did connect the IIvx to my IIci (on which I have macbsd working). The
IIci was on macos, with Zterm open through printer port. I have connected
IIvx printer port to IIci printer port. On the BETA1 tar-files, I had
/dev/tty01 in /etc/ttys files "vt100 on secure". That will allow a console
on a direct connection through printer(/dev/tty01) port to work. I dont
have problems with master.passwd file, since I have done all changes on
IIci. I did disconnect the internal video on IIvx. So I do not see what
happens on IIvx. But I think that, if it had booted, a login prompt should
appear on the IIci monitor. And it did not.

I have checked the BETA1 files by first repeating this experiment by
booting it from, IIci. And the login prompt appears on IIvx console after a
multiuser boot. I had edited /etc/rc to get rid of return required after
date prompt. Also in IIVX, I hit return after that warning about a
different computer comes on after macos is ready to boot.

So, does IIvx not boot, even if it had internal video disconnected? Or it
definately needs a video card?

I appreciate any help. My IIci is a borrowed computer from office. I do
have a nubus video card in it, that I can take it out and put it in IIVX.
But than I have to be absolutely sure that IIvx works.

Sincerely:
Bharat S. Jhaveri
bjhaveri@arco.com