Subject: Question about /etc/passwd
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Siebold <psiebold@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/30/1994 09:36:22
Well, I figured out how to get my IIvx booted, and set up slip in
/etc/netstart.  Then I used macOS to start slip, and then booted muli
user and it worked!!  So now I can go to another terminal and telnet into
my machine.  There is one problem however.

The problem is that my IIvx does not boot into single user becasue adb
is not supported.  Do I first have to boot single user, and use
vipw to change the /etc/passwd entries before I can boot into multi
user?  , or is the default /etc/passwd file setup without passwords for
the users.  I don't remember exactly what /etc/passwd looks like, but
something like this.

root:*:/root:/bin/csh

does "*" represent the encripted password, or does it mean a wildcard.

Basically, would someone be willing to tar a /etc/passwd file with the
appropriate permissions, and mail it to me uuencoded?  Obviously I don't
want to jepardise your system security, so you could create a new user
with su privileges, and then after tar you could erase it again.
Basically I would be eternally grateful.

otherwise, if none of this would work, I guess I would just wait until
the new adb code is ready, but I would really like to start playing.
Thanks for all the help.

Peter Siebold

---
Peter Siebold     psiebold@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu    ___|___
When you soar among the birds WHAT do you feel?       o/ \o