Subject: Re: ether
To: Nicholas Mitchell <nick@soda.berkeley.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/26/1994 08:04:49
> most newer macs use the SONIC chip for onboard
> ethernet and DMA for the chip.
> Is this a well-known(documented) chipper?

The SONIC is a standard Natl. Semiconductor chip--the 83932.  I have a
little data book from Natl. Semiconductor for it.  They sent it to me
for free upon my asking for it.  Charles Hannum has said that,
programmatically, it's very similar to the NIC, the 8390, which is what
the older Apple cards used, and is what the if_ae.c driver is written
for.

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **
= Over the years you swam the ocean following feelings of your own [...]  =
== It's a shame to have to die to put the shadow on our eyes.  We don't  ==
=== want to care. Under the bridge. Over the phone. Wind on the Water.  ===