Subject: Re: newbie question about booting
To: MacBSD General <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <jeffl@melb.arc.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/23/1994 09:10:04
> mount -u /
>
> will mount the FS read/write.
>
> rtfm.
>
> I have rtfm's the "manual" such as it is - all SEVEN pages of it - big flood of
> information THERE. There are indeed instructions in the FAQ about the mount
> command. That is just peachy if the damn thing boots up right in the first
> place. My system however BOOTS in read only which means the config that runs
> after the initial install (sets up the SCSI drives) can run and because the
> /etc/fstab can't be written to disk, then mount doesn't work (returns a
> segmentation fault after not finding /etc/fstab). The system is BOOTING in read
> only so mount doesnt do me any good. How do I get it to BOOT in read/write?

I had this problem because the partitioning that I used didn't match
exactly what the startup scripts expected and so they died.

The best answer seemed to be to use the installer to copy the file out to
MacOS, edit it there and then copy it back.

Sorry thats not detailed - it was a while back and I haven't touched it
since.

Jeff Laing <jeffl@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
'I meant,' said Ipslore bitterly, 'what is there in this world that makes living
worth while?'  Death thought about it.  CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE
	-- Sourcery (Terry Pratchett)