Subject: Re: On the topline menu
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/20/1994 13:17:47
> the NetBSD/i386 console IS NOT a vt100 or xterm emulation.  you should
> use 'pc3' and _ONLY_ pc3 as your TERM variable.  it'd be like

Which is cool until you login to a machine that doesn't know what the
hell "pc3" is.  My argument for vt100 or vt102 compatibility is that
it is a de-facto standard--being found everywhere (even on *gasp* IBM
mainframes).

> What'd really be a big win is if the "generic vt200"
> code was stripped out, and made machine independent, so that
> everybody could have a vt200 interface for console...  "not this week.")

Agreed.

> on the suns, you _can_ call the PROM, and have it do character output
> for you.  that's hell-of-slow, though.

What isn't slow on a Sun?  ;-)

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **
= Over the years you swam the ocean following feelings of your own [...]  =
== It's a shame to have to die to put the shadow on our eyes.  We don't  ==
=== want to care. Under the bridge. Over the phone. Wind on the Water.  ===