Subject: On the topline menu
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Jarkko Torppa <torppa@cute.fi>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/19/1994 05:55:13
Why should kernel provide a top-line menu and take something usable away ?

I'm not opposed of having a menu there but, replacing usable line of text
with menu that most unix programs can't use seems a bit stupid.

If you really want to make a menu there, I see a couple of alternatives
to shortening the screen.

make split vt terminal such that one can split as many times as one
likes and that the split's can be of anysize. Then you could have a program
that would split 1-line from the top and put a menu there.

Make the menu such that it's only displayed when certain condition is met,
like when you press mousebutton down.

On three button mice, would there be any possibility for the mapping that
Mac/X uses (Arrow-Left = Left , Arrow-Right = Right, Option-Arrow =
Real-Arrow).

And yes split vt would be really usefull.

I hope there were a possibility for me to at least see what macbsd looks like,
but as long as there is that crypto thingy...