Subject: Re: On the topline menu
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: Michael Finch <finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/18/1994 23:46:01
Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> [ i've said this N times to various people in private mail, so... ]
>
> > Why should kernel provide a top-line menu and take something usable away ?
>
> Actually, it goes further than that:
>
> WHY SHOULD THE KERNEL PROVIDE ANY SORT OF USER-INTERFACE MANAGEMENT?
>
> This is NOT MacOS.  IF you want menus, they should be done in
EXACTLY!  MacOS is simply the best way to boot MacBSD, that's it.

I personaly hate the idea of a menu bar.  I agree with cgd 100%
here.  Next, will we put Display Postscript processing in the menu
bar? Perhaps, there should be a menu that says "Emulation" and you
can select MacOS 6.5.1, MacOs 7.3.1.4.1.5.9, or PowerPC 603.  This
stuff will be stuck in the kernel sucking up ram that could be
beter used by my xtank game.

Besides, everyone knows user interfaces are for people who can't
extract a simple uuencoded, compressed, gziped tar file in one line
using and many processes as possible.

Ex:
cat foobar | more | uudecode | zcat | gzip -cd | tar -xf -

> But DON'T put put menus in the kernel...
Amen!

-Mike

P.S.  There are many implied ";-)"s in this note, please try to find
them all.

--
finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu  | If it wouldn't violate USENET posting
Michael Finch                      | guidelines concerning 5 line sigs, a