Subject: Re: MacBSD ftp mirror down
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@ncd.com>
From: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@xochi.tezcat.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/10/1994 16:58:55
On Fri, 10 Jun 1994, Ted Lemon wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 09:44:09 PDT
> From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ncd.com>
> To: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@xochi.tezcat.com>
> Cc: Steve Rich <rich@utkux1.utk.edu>,
>     Manuel Eduardo Correia <mcc@ncc.up.pt>,
>     macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: MacBSD ftp mirror down
>

> >  If any Europeans have any doubts about this, I recommend you ftp to
> > gatekeeper.dec.com, and you will see that this is exactly the set up that
> > they are using. It is an honor system, which of course we can be sure
> > everyone honors.
>
> Since there are perfectly legal implementations of crypt available on
> European hosts (use archie if you don't believe me), there's no reason
> to violate U.S. export regulations.   BTW, if somebody in Europe were
> to ftp the crypt libraries from gatekeeper, they would not only be
> violating U.S. law, but also the law in their own country.

 I have no disagreement with you there either. There are also exportable
versions of crypt such as that used under ULTRIX, and of course the
"bones" distribution, for use with Kerberos.

 My point is simply that it is a shame to shut down a mirror site because
of a stinking library, when there are other solutions available.

 I certainly do not recommend anyone to violate U.S. export laws.

> Now realistically, there's not much likelihood that you'll get nailed
> for doing this, but if it happens and somebody notices, gatekeeper
> will probably have to stop using the honor system, and this may mean
> that crypt will be unavailable at *any* U.S. site.   I would therefore
> encourage people not to commit this particular computer crime.

 Gatekeeper manages it with heavy logging of their transfers, and I
believe there is a line in one of the innumerable readme files, that
reads something like:

 "If you can connect to this site, chances are that you are calling from
a country that honors U.S. export regulations..." implying strongly that
they do have filtering for countries that do not. Dec is very into their
filtering in any case.

 Again, I was not advocating the export of crypt, but instead arguing
that if it is possessed openly in one's country it is probably not illegal.

        Charles Ewen MacMillan        <ilixi@xochi.tezcat.com>
     Offering low cost dial-up internet connectivity in Chicago.
   For information about our service, mail or finger info@tezcat.com
     Data: 312-850-0112 (located in Wicker Park) Vox: 312-850-0191
    Free Access to our BBS system via Telnet to "smirror.tezcat.com"