Subject: Re: MacBSD ftp mirror down
To: Charles Ewen MacMillan <ilixi@xochi.tezcat.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ncd.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/10/1994 09:44:09
>  If any Europeans have any doubts about this, I recommend you ftp to
> gatekeeper.dec.com, and you will see that this is exactly the set up that
> they are using. It is an honor system, which of course we can be sure
> everyone honors.

Since there are perfectly legal implementations of crypt available on
European hosts (use archie if you don't believe me), there's no reason
to violate U.S. export regulations.   BTW, if somebody in Europe were
to ftp the crypt libraries from gatekeeper, they would not only be
violating U.S. law, but also the law in their own country.

Now realistically, there's not much likelihood that you'll get nailed
for doing this, but if it happens and somebody notices, gatekeeper
will probably have to stop using the honor system, and this may mean
that crypt will be unavailable at *any* U.S. site.   I would therefore
encourage people not to commit this particular computer crime.

			       _MelloN_