Subject: Re: MacBSD ftp mirror down
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/08/1994 12:59:07
kr writes:
[...]
 > These stupid laws are really messed up. I am sorry to hear that.
 > But I am curious as to how your "responsible" found out about this, and why
 > he is so concerned with keeping the site so squeaky clean. Does he
 > regularly monitor the contents for "dangerous" stuff, or might it have been
Because my site is on the archie net, and someone in france saw (using
archie) that my host was mirroing netbsd_mac, called at observatoire
to know "How did you solved the export law problem with macbsd, 'cause
i'd like too to have it too ?".
 My "responsible" didn't knew that i was mirroing, and
didn't knew at all was is going on on my host [i'm somehow considered
extra terrestrial here, with my aftp, www, listserv and irc servers :-)]
So to be sure not to have any possible troubles I was asked to get rid
of that... maybe a lawyer somewhere could tell if there is a real
offence...
 > that he was informed by some US agency to put some pressure on ? I wonder
 > if the NSA actually does monitor all the traffic that goes over the US
 > border. Does anybody know more ? If the NSA does not monitor exhaustively,
 > there would be no way whatsoever to enforce the stupid software export
 > laws, and it would be just one big farce. However, if the NSA does monitor
 > exhaustively (and would see this message here), it would be rather scary to
 > see in what colorful ways tax dollars are being wasted.
No no ! I don't think so ... at least I hope for your US$ that they
don't waste their time with public encryption hunting from unixes that
exists anyway on thousands of sites worldwide and that surely can't
harm anyone... [they prolly have better time trying to impose clipper
chip ;)]

btw : standard disclaimer : all you just read is prolly false, and in
no way observatoire de paris should be liable for any fake mail you
may have received :-)

dl
--
Laurent Demailly - finger for PGP key