Subject: Re: porto
To: Nicholas Mitchell <nick@soda.berkeley.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/30/1994 10:20:16
> What does one need to do to port X?

A few things ;-)

> I was looking at the directory tree for the mit dist
> and it seems like there is support for BSD(good)
> and there is a ddx(device dependent..) directory for
> Macintoshes.

The mit dist?  Meaning, e.g., mit/server/ddx/macII?  If so, there is
a new X dist out, X11R6, that will be the focus of my efforts when
possible...

> Would the main work be combining the two?

Actually, the main work will be in modifying the macII directory to look
at our console model (keyboard, video, mouse handling).  Mr. Grantham
has been making headway on a better adb system to get the mouse & kbd in
line.  There is ongoing work in getting the video part in line as well
(almost a complete redesign).  When that's ready and the current kernel
is working (w/ ethernet), I'll be working on X...

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **
= Over the years you swam the ocean following feelings of your own [...]  =
== It's a shame to have to die to put the shadow on our eyes.  We don't  ==
=== want to care. Under the bridge. Over the phone. Wind on the Water.  ===