Subject: Alpha-2 to Beta-1
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <allen@cssg4.cslab.ds.boeing.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/23/1994 08:49:20
I'm contemplating upgrading from the Alpha-2 release to the
Beta-1 release.  Please excuse my naivete, but are most people
just trashing the Alpha-2 installation, and starting out with
the Beta from scratch [backing up and (later) re-installing all other
work first]?  Or is there some more intelligent way of
doing this, such as just letting tar (the installer actually)
overwrite the existing files?

On a related topic, I've haven't tried this yet - is there support for the
floppy drive? ie, can I tar my other stuff directly to a floppy,
or must I use the installer to copy stuff back out to HFS?

thanks for any ideas on these subjects.

Dave Doherty

ps. to Kevin Wilson and others interested, look for Mac Gzip in the
Compress directory at one of the sumex mirrors.

---
David C. Doherty
Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.
doherty@msc.edu