Subject: Newbie - Setting root password, adding users?
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <DBLamkins@aol.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/21/1994 02:29:49
OK, I got all the files from cray-ymp last week.  Followed the README
instructions to install the system.  Added the netbsd kernel from the
newest_kernels distribution using cpin (note: kernel not part of any of the
tar files - someone please note this in the next rev of the README).

First attempt at booting had problems with the /u file system, expected to be
on partition G (another point overlooked or incorrect according to the
README), so I commented out the appropriate line in /etc/fstab.

I also created an /etc directory to silence some of the complaints during
multi-user startup.

I haven't changed anything else, yet, except those things affected by vipw.

Now I can do things in single-user mode.  But editing the password file using
vipw (according to item 22 in the FAQ dated 19 Apr 94) or adding new users
seems to have no effect -- I can't seem to modify the root password nor
create a new user/password and have my login attempt recognized.  I've
discovered that at least /etc/pwd.db gets the names of new users I add using
vipw.

Am I correct in assuming that the second field of /etc/master.passwd gets the
desired password when I edit it with vipw?  The man page isn't really clear
on this point.

No, I've never administered a Unix system before; I'm groping around based
upon my knowledge as a mere user.  Am I doing something obviously wrong?
 (Besides not yet having bought a pile of FMs? :)

Thanks,
  Dave