Subject: Re: IIci Support
To: Aaron S. Huslage <ahuslage@enterprise.interpath.net>
From: O}cke Oikarinen <ookke@snakemail.hut.fi>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/20/1994 21:07:50
> > Did you enter only the amount of RAM in BankA, or did you let it use all
> > the memory?  It might be running fine until it tries to run with memory
> > that "doesn't exist" (isn't where it's supposed to be).

> It wasn't all that obvious. The machine has 8 meg of RAM, but it's not
> distributed evenly across both banks. It looks like 1meg is in bank B,
> but that is hard to imagine! Any help would be appreciated.

There is no way to have 7 megs in one memory bank.
The possible memory configurations for a IIci are (in megabytes):
1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 16, ...  Of course you won't find any 1 or 2 meg ci's
because they came with at least 4 or 5 megs of RAM.

If you are running system 6.xx then it is possible that your machine
has 8+1 megs of physical RAM, but your system claims to have only 8 megs.
This is because sys 6 uses 24 bit addressing allowing a total of
16 megs of address space from which 8 megs are used up by NuBus slots.

So, this leads to the question: What is there in bank B that makes you
think it has only 1 meg (which means it has 4 modules with 8(or 9) 256kbit
chips each)?

--
Petri Oikarinen				I  Wisdom is a priviledge of
    Advisor on practical training	I    the ancient,