Subject: Re: MacBSD in Australia? (Can't export encryption binaries.)
To: Lawrence Kesteloot <kesteloo@cs.unc.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/11/1994 15:34:30
> > Guys: please, please, _please_ put together a distribution without
> > encryption.

It's times like these that make me not proud to be American.  *sigh*

> Question to Allen and others:  could we distribute a seperate version
> of login, passwd, ftpd, and whatever else needs to read the password
> file?

Yes.  In fact, that was my plan.  Basically have DES-less binaries in
the distribution, then have a "security" distribution that had the DES-
equipped versions of those programs.

> Is there any other work going on to replace DES?

I believe the laws are not specific to DES...  In any case, there is at
least one person overseas who has a replacement for libcrypt.  I'd like
to have a pointer to them in the RELEASE_NOTES, so people can get the
source for the programs and recompile them.

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **
= Over the years you swam the ocean following feelings of your own [...]  =
== It's a shame to have to die to put the shadow on our eyes.  We don't  ==
=== want to care. Under the bridge. Over the phone. Wind on the Water.  ===