Subject: Re: MacBSD in Australia? (Can't export encryption binaries.)
To: Peter Yandell <bigpete@werple.apana.org.au>
From: Lawrence Kesteloot <kesteloo@cs.unc.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/11/1994 14:55:55
> Guys: please, please, _please_ put together a distribution without
> encryption.

How do you suggest that the passwords be encrypted?  If it's only an OS
for you, we could probably just save it as plain text (or rot-13'ed).
This may just be a simple hack of the crypt(3) routine and recompiling
of "login" and "passwd".  I don't know if there's any DES in the kernel,
but that might cause problems.

Question to Allen and others:  could we distribute a seperate version
of login, passwd, ftpd, and whatever else needs to read the password
file?  Overseas users could then download the distribution and overwrite
their binaries with these.

Is there any other work going on to replace DES?

Lawrence