Subject: Re: Porting a Linux-based OS to the PowerPC architecture (fwd)
To: Edward Wolpert <wolpert@neon.chem.utk.edu>
From: Hubert Chen <hubt@umich.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/11/1994 00:34:42
--------
In message <9405110251.AA04101@neon.chem.utk.edu>you scrawled:
 >Judging from the letter you included... I don't know how much those folks
 >really know about the UNIX system... They suggested that it may be possible
 >to have linux and their PPC UNIX binary compatable... that's just not
 >possible at all.  Period.  The processor's are different, etc... I wish them

Anything is possible with emulation.. PPC is binary compatible with the
Mac, and Intel x86 DOS if you run SoftWindows. I agree it'd be a pain
in the ass, and nobody would want to do it, but I certainly wouldn't
call it impossible.

 >luck, and hope it works out for the best.  Also, I'm wondering how they are
 >compiling gcc?  Using MachTen?  Something just doesn't make sense.. Is the

They could be compiling it on an IBM PPC, they say they've got a
native-mode compiler, and the only ones I know of are MetroWorks
CodeWarrior, and the IBM AIX compiler.

--hubt;