Subject: Re: Porting a Linux-based OS to the PowerPC architecture (fwd)
To: None <psiebold@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu>
From: Edward Wolpert <wolpert@neon.chem.utk.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/10/1994 19:51:59
Judging from the letter you included... I don't know how much those folks
really know about the UNIX system... They suggested that it may be possible
to have linux and their PPC UNIX binary compatable... that's just not
possible at all.  Period.  The processor's are different, etc... I wish them
luck, and hope it works out for the best.  Also, I'm wondering how they are
compiling gcc?  Using MachTen?  Something just doesn't make sense.. Is the
PPC mac open hardware arch?  Did they sign a non-disclousre agreement, and
apple gave the hardware specs?  Any ideas on to what they are doing on the
PPC makes this process easier that the Mac68k?  Something just doesn't seem
right to me, but I hope they prove my fears wrong.

		Virtually,
		Edward Wolpert

wolpert@utk.edu            | System Administrator       | "No, sorry, there's
wolpert@osti.rmt.utk.edu   | Systems Programmer         |  nothing to be
pa153568@utkvm1.utk.edu	   | Graduate Chemistry Student |  done about it."
I'm  sorry, but Godot isn't here today. Perhaps if you came back tomorrow...
 home page