Subject: more BETA-0 installation problems
From: None <monroe@cs.pdx.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/03/1994 03:19:23
I had MacBSD installed up until a month or so ago, but I wiped out my
Alpha2 installation because I thought I was selling my SE/30, and now
I'm trying to get BETA-0 up and running with a clean install.

I'm running into a classic chicken-and-egg problem trying to set up
/dev.  I can't seem to get to a point where I have a writeable file
system to run MAKEDEV on.  'mount' running under the new kernel just
barfs on the old /dev/*sd* from the Alpha2 distribution, and the old
kernels barf on something else (init dies or gets stuck in a loop).
Since I've already copied most of the distribution in, I'd rather not
set up Alpha2 again just to build devices.

I tried running MAKEDEV on the sun I'm using as an internet site, but
it just complained that I wasn't root and refused to do anything.  I
currently don't have root access on any unix machine I use, so making
the devices that way isn't really an option.

Am I missing something simple?  Is there some way to bootstrap far
enough to build devices using ONLY the tar in the BETA-0 distribution
and MacOS?  (i.e. _without_ building devices on another machine _or_
having alpha2 installed and working)

If I'm not missing something, could someone who has BETA-0 working
PLEASE tar up their /dev and put it somewhere ftp-able?  Maybe change
something in the distribution on cray-ymp?

Thanks,
- monroe
Monroe Williams                                        monroe@cs.pdx.edu