Subject: Apple & MacBSD
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Milo Sharp - Academic Computing <FXMCS@aurora.alaska.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/28/1994 11:02:46
	Well, I had dinner last night with three executives from Apple, all
from the Higher Education sales structure.  Namely, they were my supervisor,
his supervisor, and his supervisor's supervisor, so it went fairly high up
the hierarchy.  I mentioned, in passing, that there was a team working on a
free port of NetBSD Unix to the Macintosh, and they were all quite happy.
	The sales team, I believe, correctly recognizes that other operating
systems for the Mac will be a big selling point.  People can still run System
7 if they want, and considering how few sales they've actually had from it
(since the majority of System 7 computers came with it pre-installed), they
understand that it will increase sales of hardware rather than decrease sales
of software.
	From then we moved on to discussions of A/UX and AIX, and many other
flavors of Unix.  But I just thought I'd let everyone know that your project
isn't really opposed by Apple -- just by the stupid part of Apple.  =)  You've
probably got a fair amount of support from the rest of them.

Milo Sharp
Apple Student Rep
Fairbanks, AK