Subject: Re: Emacs problem solved!
To: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@cs.amherst.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/19/1994 13:48:33
> Thanks to Alan Briggs for sending me a copy of the d7 definition in his
> termcap file.  I'm not sure why mine wasn't there (I think I may have

Wasn't me ;-)  I think it was posted as an entry for a gigi from a Sun
workstation.

> On the kernel compilation front, I have tried config GENERIC, but with no
> more luck.  I have a feeling that my problem is placement of directories.
> I decompressed and untarred the ksrc file, and got a sys and a lib
> directory.  However, I'm not quite sure where to put these, nor where I
> should be to run config in order to get a Makefile for the kernel.  Any
> help would be wonderful.

See the new, sparkling Build-HOWTO in the compile_kern directory on
cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu (or wherever you got the ksrc).  You can
put them anywhere, but usually it will be /usr/src/sys and /usr/src/lib
with a symbolic link: /sys -> /usr/src/sys.

You run "config.new GENERIC" from sys/arch/mac68k/conf.  It will create
a sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC directory from which you can type:
"make depend && make" to build a new kernel.  You will probably want
the latest copy of the files from /usr/share/mk.  These are in mk.tgz
or some such (I'm too lazy to check at the moment ;-).

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****