Subject: Re: Building GENERIC Kernel
To: Kevin Wilson 315-456-1404 <kevin@spef8.spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/17/1994 18:08:56
> Thanks, I have gotten GENERIC to compile and boot.  The key seemed to be
> using sample.makefile in place of the one in the distrabution.

Actually, you should be using config.new to generate a
Makefile of your very own.

> Is there a recogmended source for the non-kernel/non-memory resident parts of
> BSD?  And if so how tricky is it to rebuild functions such as `ps`, which
> broke with the new kernel?

Are you looking for the source code?  Check out sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
or ftp.iastate.edu.

> PS. Can anyone tell me what the serial controller chip is in the macIIx so
> I don't have to take mine all apart to find out?

For all the macs that I'm aware of, it's the Zilog 8530 or clone.

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****