Subject: SCSI problems
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@cs.amherst.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/15/1994 19:06:16
Okay, I am a much happier MacBSD user now than when I first started.  (Wow,
this is cool!)  I've figured out a number of my problems...the first could have
been solved by reading the README and noticing that the IIci can only use
Bank A for RAM.  (What work would be required to fix this so all of the
installed RAM could be used?  I'll do it!)

So, I'm actually doing thing with MacBSD now, although there is one problem
I have that I'm not sure how to fix (and I believe I've seen people talking
about it before.)  At boot time, MacBSD finds my two drives on the SCSI
chain, although one of them is not formatted for UNIX use at all...and then
it proceeds to find the UNIX drive (which is hooked up at SCSI id 2) 7 more
times.  It actually tries to find it, I think, at SCSI id 8 and 9, which makes
no sense.  Either that, or it's counting the partitions multiple times.
I'm not sure what's going on.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Will reconfiguring the kernel, as suggested when this error comes up, solve
my problem?  How do I do that?

That brings me to another question.  Considering that the IIci kernel is a bit
different than the others still, if I compile my own kernel, will it work?
Or will it be missing those necessary changes that allow things to go on the
Iici?

Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work.  I'm horribly happy to have
a complete UNIX running on my Mac.  And after trying out A/UX and having to
struggle with the differences between that and other UNIX's, it was *so*
nice to pull kermit off of a site, tell it to make using standard bsd
configuration, and have it complete the whole thing without a hitch!  What
a nice feeling.

Scott Kaplan
sfkaplan@cs.amherst.edu