Subject: Re: emacs
To: Rod Morehead <rmore@netcom.com>
From: Bharat S. Jhaveri <bjhaveri@Arco.COM>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/12/1994 13:27:35

>> >Could you shoot me a copy of the output of the linking stage. What you
>>descibe
>> >does not ring any bells but, I be I would recognize the output.
>>
>>   Last night I tried all the sugeestions I got from you about compiling
>> emacs on MacBSD.
>>
>>   I tookout nostdlib from the final step and the emacs loads and look like
>> everything looks like it worked. I doa final make install, and it puts the
>> binary and other lisp stuff in the right place. But then when I execute
>> emacs, I get error. As follows.
>>
>I can't remember the dynamic solution. I don't recall what I did. I feel
>really stupid for not remembering. I think I worked around it in some
>way. I am almost positive I did not use the sun file. I may have even opted
>for static linking. The error probably has to do with the temacs to emacs
>stage where the lisp is loaded and dumped as part of a new, larger
>executable. I think the DYNAMIC code hunts for the beginning of
>the data segment. You might want to see if there is any bsd equivalent
>for that sunexec stuff. If you are still stuck tonight I may try to juggle
>some disk space and see if I can retrace my steps.
>
>--Rod
 I think that you have identified some critical things here. During the
last stages of compilation, I see gcc complaining about BSD being
redefined, when it is compiling some of those sun execed(?) routines.
Tonight, I will go throgh the compilation again, and hunt it. Looks like we
are getting very very close.

 Thanks. I'll report tommorow what happens.

 Sincerely:
Bharat S. Jhaveri
bjhaveri@arco.com