Subject: Re: tar hangup and numerous fs errors
To: Bharat S. Jhaveri <bjhaveri@Arco.COM>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/06/1994 10:01:57
> twice before I get in multiuser mode. I get in single user, do "fsck -p /"
> and "fsck -p /usr" , "reboot -n", and do fsck again , untill everything is
> OK. Then I  ^D to multiuser mode. I then work for a while, untill the

You should only proceed into multiuser mode if/when the root filesystem
is clean.  In other words, if there are any errors in the fsck on /, do
a reboot.  If you're doing this, I apologize for belaboring the point
;-)

> Or that these problems are more IIci related? If there is a disk
> partitioning problem that could be somehow corrected without reinstalling,
> that will be nice.

Unfortunately, no.  Even if disklabel -e worked, that would not be
possible, since the filesystem has to be recreated to take advantage
of a larger partition, or to work in a smaller one.

Again, I have seen no filesystem related panics, and very few of any
other kind (like, one unexpected one).  Some others have noted that
exiting tcsh or csh causes a panic sometimes.

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****