Subject: Re: The latest MacBSD Installation Problems
To: Bharat S. Jhaveri <bjhaveri@Arco.COM>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/29/1994 09:41:37
>     kernel trap
>     calling kdb_trap(15,&frame)
>     stopped at 0x4de04
>     db>

Ick...  Looks bad.  I'll try to recreate.  What kernel are you using?
/pub/dist/netbsd from kitten?  What are the major and minor numbers on
your serial devices?

> Since, I did not go through the intended startup procedure, did that cause
> problems that lead upto tip screwup?

Probably not.  You're dealing with a distribution that hasn't been
"released" and that we're working on improving (it *is* better than
what we had before, I think, but it has a long way to go).  This
will eventually be alpha-3 or beta-1.

> Anyway now I know that I can always boot my IIci as long as I put Bank A
> memory in the RAM in the booter.

You should be able to uncheck the Auto-size RAM button, enter the size
of RAM, click OK, save preferences, quit, and restart the booter.  If
it doesn't work in booter 1.0, it works in 1.1 ;-)  I guess I'll go
ahead and put that up for ftp since I haven't heard any reports from
my testers...

>    Also, from my previous tip setup, I had a hard time even then. I vaguely
> remember a problem with file ownership for some lock file in /var, For tip
> and cu to work properly. But I forgot. Maybe that is why tip can not start?

That would not cause a kernel trap.

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****