Subject: Re: BSD Licenses
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
From: John E. Clark <jclark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/28/1994 09:32:33
At  9:26 PM 3/27/94 -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> talk about licenses has me asking the question is one required to
>> run MacBSD?
>
>Chris already answered this, but I'll second it.  No.

Once upon a time there was a software package called 'UCSD Pascal'. This
was developed
and distributed to the 'general population', in particular the 'Apple II'
user's groups.

When Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided to use that varient of pascal as its
basis for an systems language, one of the conditions it required of the UC
Regents
that it cancel the licenses to the user groups.

There were several fall-out, users were pissed, Apple and Tele-Soft were
the only
comercial offerers of UCSD Pascal, and it became a dinasaur. Another fall-out
was that the Apple 'Copyrighted' menu scheme was a 'direct' descendent of the
UCSD Pascal menu system. Note what happed to Digital Research when it attempted
to make a window system. Apple claimed they invented the world.

Anyway, given the copyright notice in BSD, and given the history of UC Regents
what is to prevent the UC from yanking the copyright granted in the
existing distributions, in favor of some economic player in the software
world?

John Clark
clark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us