Subject: Re: What are the minimum files needed?
To: Brian Kendig <bskendig@netcom.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/24/1994 22:48:56
> You do if you're curious to get MacBSD running as a Mac application on
> top of the Mac operating system.  ;-)  I'm just curious to tinker with a
> project like this and see what it involves.
>
> Maybe it'll be a lot slower, maybe it'll be a pointless endeavor, maybe
> it'll be impossible, but if it works, it'll be a lot easier to port to
> new Macs.  :)  And whether or not it works, it'll teach me more about
> what makes Unix tick.  I'm not going to put a lot of time into this, I
> just want to find out firsthand why making MacBSD into a Mac application
> has been said to be so difficult.
>
> I don't want to download the entire MacBSD distribution because it will
> take up far too much downloading time and disk space.  Which files
> contain the heart of it all?

The heart of what?  VM?  UFS?  ISOFS? ;-)  Seriously, anything under
sys/kern, sys/vm, and sys/arch/mac68k are the most interesting.  There
is interesting stuff elsewhere, but this is the bulk of it, I think.

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****