Subject: Re: Can't install... What's wrong?
To: None <grantham@netcom.com>
From: Ken Nakata CS major/CIS dept. <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/24/1994 17:11:48
>> > After the message, installer take no keys but enter...
>> Argh!!!!  Get devious, then.  Mark the usr partition as something else,
>> like swap or macos.  When this is done, follow the instructions again
>> ;-)  If you can successfully make a /usr, then reassign usr as usr and
>> try restarting the installer.

Arrrgh!!!  SpotOn stinks!  I can create partitions and initialize
them but I can *not* leave some free space in the disk not touched
or change partition type after initializing them or...
I must say, if your dealer tells me they're shipping SpotOn as the
disk formatter, you should refuse it.  It's not worth paying $50
bucsk which I paid for...

>I'm sorry I haven't made a HOWTO for this.

At least I was warned in README :)

>As far as remember, these are the steps to making a system with both
>root and usr:
>1: Make both partitions with your favorite partitioner.
>2: MKFS both partitions.
>3: Go *back* into favorite partitioner and mark USR as some other partition
>	type than UNIX_SVR2 or HFS, if you can.  Try ProDOS, or plain DOS.

SpotOn can't do this...

>	The trick to this is that the Installer needs a /dev/sd#g node and
>	a /usr mount point to mount your USR partition, neither of which
>	exists yet.
[deleted]
>This is all from memory, since I can't bounce to MacOS in the middle of
>MacBSD, from which I connect.  Please let me know if you encounter any
>problems with these instructions.  I'm running with a 64M root and a
>750M /usr, so it must be possible, right?

Yes, with a descent disk formatter... :(  I made one large partition
so there shouldn't be problems anymore...

Thanks for your help.

Ken