Subject: Re: Can't install... What's wrong?
From: Brad Grantham Featuring 24 Hour Alarm <grantham@netcom.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/24/1994 14:02:18
> > >	* Start installer, ignore message
> > After the message, installer take no keys but enter...
> Argh!!!!  Get devious, then.  Mark the usr partition as something else,
> like swap or macos.  When this is done, follow the instructions again
> ;-)  If you can successfully make a /usr, then reassign usr as usr and
> try restarting the installer.

I'm sorry I haven't made a HOWTO for this.
As far as remember, these are the steps to making a system with both
root and usr:
1: Make both partitions with your favorite partitioner.
2: MKFS both partitions.
3: Go *back* into favorite partitioner and mark USR as some other partition
	type than UNIX_SVR2 or HFS, if you can.  Try ProDOS, or plain DOS.
	The trick to this is that the Installer needs a /dev/sd#g node and
	a /usr mount point to mount your USR partition, neither of which
	exists yet.
4: Run the Installer and unpack dev.tar.
5: "mkdir /usr".
6: Quit the installer, run your partitioner, and change the USR partition
	type back to Apple_UNIX_SVR2.
7: Run the Installer.  /usr should mount just fine.
8: finish unpacking.
9: you'll probably have to boot into single-user mode and follow these
	steps:
a) mount -u /		# mount / as read-write
b) vi /etc/fstab, and add an entry for /usr.  I think there is already
	one in Alpha2's /etc/fstab, commented out.

This is all from memory, since I can't bounce to MacOS in the middle of
MacBSD, from which I connect.  Please let me know if you encounter any
problems with these instructions.  I'm running with a 64M root and a
750M /usr, so it must be possible, right?

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@netcom.com ---------- Happily slaved to NetBSD/Mac68k!
 I think "make love, not war" is probably too extreme.  I think the sentiment