Subject: Re: yowza! tenon
To: Nicholas Mitchell <nick@soda.berkeley.edu>
From: Bill Johnston <johnston@me.udel.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/15/1994 00:11:10
On Mon, 14 Mar 1994, Nicholas Mitchell wrote:

> Is the professional version as "functional" as A/UX would be
> (assuming you get "MachTen Prof." plus "MachTen X windows package"

Not even close.  MachTen is like a unix version of "SoftPC".

It is an emulator, not an operating system.  It runs as a
Macintosh application on top of System 7, which lacks memory
protection and preemptive multitasking.  This means that
a Mac running MachTen is as vulnerable to crashing because
of a buggy INIT or Mac app as any other Macintosh.

It's principle virtue stems from its chief flaw.  Because
it runs on top of MacOS, and shares its filesystems, it
will run on many Macs (especially PowerBooks) that aren't
supported by A/UX, with less dedicated disk, and less CPU.
There is even a version that runs on machines without an MMU.

MachTen is undoubtedly a well-polished package, but it is
going NOWHERE, as far as I can see.  People with an interest
in a MachTen-like working environment who are also interested
in contributing to the future of free software would do better
to support the on-going development of MacMiNT, which is a
free Mac port of a unix emulator originally written for
Atari TOS.

> (i.e. A/uX seems to be at the boot of apple,
>  MacBSD doesn't seem like it'll support my centris 650 for quite a while
>  and Tenon seems to have some sort of future)

Maybe so.  But if you want to _use_ unix on the Mac, as opposed
to kernel hacking toward the eventual goal of a freely
redistributable unix on the Mac, A/UX will be the best choice
for a C650 for the reasonably near future.  It's also a
reasonable box for doing MacBSD cross-development, I'd
imagine, so buying it doesn't lock you out of making a
contribution.

What would be a waste of time, in my view, is to invest
money and effort in learning, maintaining, administering,
and porting software to MachTen -- a proprietary unix
emulator that is used by a relatively small number of
people.

I've appended a similar comment that I made on the MacMiNT
mailing list recently.  "alt.mac.os@tazboy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov"
is the name of that list, for those who want to learn
more.  Fairly recent ports of MacMiNT are available on
sumex and umich, I believe.  The readme files in those
archives will point interested folks toward more info
and software that is available for MacMiNT.

- Bill

/* Please note that I'm not trying to slam Tenon or Anita
   for making a special offer to those interested in MacBSD.
   I admire clever software, regardless of whether it's
   free or proprietary.  It's good business for Tenon
   to target MacBSD folks;  after all, I paid for A/UX,
   and I still follow MacBSD and MacMiNT developments.
   However, my bias is toward advancing the state of the art
   for the long run, an objective that I think is better
   served by the minority now hacking away on free software
   with freely available source.  */