Subject: Re: Alpha2 & optical drive: still trying...
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@cs.pdx.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/04/1994 22:13:45
> It's probably a lot closer to a disk than a CD-ROM, but that doesn't mean
> the disk driver will work. :-/

OK...  I'll try to grab the info on the optical devices to study this
weekend while I'm away from the computer (spring break for the university
means that I get to play chauffeur and visit the fiancee's parents for a
few days).

> The code you sent me doesn't seem to have any special-case code for my
> drive.  I'll assume that part is easy enough to fix.

Yeah, I never bothered to put it in when I added the code from the
"magnum" branch.  It didn't work, so why bother ;-)

> It looks to me like the geometry trouble may be in the function
> sd_get_parms in "sd.c".  I'll have to look up the mode sense pages when
> I get home tonight, but I don't remember seeing one in the docs that
> contained the info this code is extracting (# of heads, sectors, etc.).

Yeah...  We might be better off creating an od device or something that
would deal with SCSI optical devices.  I'll have to think about whether
I prefer to do that or to wedge support into the sd device...  I think
probably the former--even though we don't have a good way to deal with
worm filesystems, yet, we might want that in the future, and those would
probably be too much to try to wedge into the sd.

Just random thoughts.

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****