Subject: Re: Alpha2 & optical drive: still trying...
To: None <monroe@cs.pdx.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@kitten.async.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/04/1994 08:59:08
> It's a SCSI-2 device, but there's a jumper on the
> back that can make it pretend it's a SCSI-1 device.

I'd rather it be SCSI-2 ;-)  I don't think the scsi drivers support the
optical drives except as CD-ROMs, so we have to decide if it's a CD-ROM
or a DISK device...  Or write a new driver.  One or the other.  I'll see
if I can borrow an MO drive from work to play with.  It would be nice to
support them.  Doesn't system 7 try to eject the media when you boot BSD?

> I remember the confusion about the geometry info.  I have done some raw
> SCSI work before, interfacing to Mac tape drives.  What command is used
> to get the geometry info?  Inquiry (12H)?  What info is expected to be
> there?  If you want to mail me the relevant sources,

They're on their way.  It's the scsi subdirectory of sys/arch/mac68k
from ksrc.tgz.  I think I added code before to make it look like a
disk device.

> I think you said something about partitions moving around within each
> SCSI ID, but I don't remember anything about the SCSI ID's being treated
> differently.

Oops.  Sorry.  The partitions haven't moved.  They've been extended.
What's moved is the root scsi ID.  We used to map sd0 to root, swapping
it with whatever was there before...  Now we just assign the devices
in order and find the root device from there.