Subject: Re: Alpha2 & optical drive: still trying...
To: None <monroe@cs.pdx.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/03/1994 11:07:41
> At some point in the not-too-distant past I corresponded at some length
> with one or two insiders on this list (Allen and someone else, I think)
> about getting my 128Meg optical drive supported by MacBSD.  Having just
> recently gotten Alpha2 up, I thought I'd give it another try.  Here we
> go again...

That was me.  Sorry...

> The drive in question is an Epson OMD-5010.  It is correctly identified
> during the boot sequence, but I get the 'no explicit driver match'

Hmmm.  Let's try doing what we did before, send me the info on the drive
(I *might* be able to find it around here...), and I'll recompile the
kernel so it thinks that's a disk drive.  Last time we tried that, it
was real confused about the geometry info, I think, but we'll start from
there...  The docs you have should help.  Is it a SCSI-2 or SCSI-1
device?

> figured out that the root filesystem wasn't on /dev/sd0a anymore.
> (It's now on /dev/sd1a, presumably because my MacBSD drive is at SCSI
> ID 1.  Probably a good idea, but knowing about it before it bit me
> would have made my life easier.  ;-)

Hmmm.  I thought I did post that when I announced that kernel.  If I
think about it, I'll put a readme near it...

> I also can't seem to log in as root on /dev/console anymore.  This
> isn't really a problem, as I just uncommented the changes in /etc/ttys
> that put that getty on /dev/con1 instead, but I'm curious as to what
> happened.

Frankly, I don't recall.  Sorry for the confusion, we're trying to work
some of these details out, now...  Thanks,

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****