Subject: Re: Question...
To: None <rich@hihat.utcc.utk.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/01/1994 15:36:59
> I was at an IEEE meeting last week in Oak Ridge at which a Motorola
> rep. gave a talk about the PPC line.  It was quite interesting from an
> architectural standpoint, but what was really interesting was his
> statement that Apple is planning to license the toolbox, etc., so that
> competing vendors can produce hardware which will be able to run the
> MacOS.  This, of course, doesn't mean that the technical info will be
> either free or cheap, but it does open some doors (hopefully).  Also,
> a complete set of manuals for the PPC chips will soon be available.

I have the first rev of the MPC601 manual, but that tells me nothing
about the memory maps that Apple is using, or the other hardware in
the machine...
Licensing the OS is simply a smart move by Apple, it's not indicative
of them loosening up.  We'll see how forthcoming h/w docs are on the
PowerMacs (ick--what a name).

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****